I've read some previous posts on here saying that the United States as well as the world should not worry about N.Korea's nuclear weapons testing. Some of the points made were something along the lines of:
1. "They're only testing weapons, when they actually fire them at other countries, THEN we can worry."
2. "We shouldn't worry because if a war breaks out, North Korea will definitely lose, and we can nuke the shit out of em from South Korea anyway"
3. "America is such a hypocrite, we test nuclear weapons all the time, yet we freak out when someone else does the same thing."
I would have to strongly disagree with all three statements. My response to each:
1. If it a deathtoll in the hundred thousands or more, and a good 50 years at least of irradiated wasteland yielding generation after generation of genetically defected people is what it takes to make you worry, then I'm glad you're not a politician. Concern should be expressed BEFORE the situation turns deadly, not during or after. This is why the world freaked out during the Cold War.
2. Although you are right that we can pretty much win an easy war against North Korea even without the use of nukes, you've overlooked two important details:
a) If it weren't for China, the Korean War would not have ended in armistice. In other words, there would be no North Korea. And if China and the U.S. get in direct conflict in this day and ago, a resulting WW3 happens without a doubt.
b) Dropping a nuke on the Korean Peninsula will only destroy the ENTIRE KOREAN PENINSULA, and the effects may spread to the surrounding sea and China. Even if it doesn't spread that far, South Korea (mind you they are ALLIES) will definitely feel it too. Kim Jong Il, knowing that a nuclear weapon dropped in North or South Korea will devastate both countries, still doesn't mind calling the shot, even if it kills him and his entire country in the blast. Hence the reason why KIM JONG IS IS FUCKING CRAZY.
3. Congratulations. You have a feel for the concept of hypocrisy. However, the US has made it very clear that its purpose is to 'spread and maintain freedom around the world', and even if that is a half bullshit excuse to do whatever they want, it still means that we have enough sense not to abuse our nuclear weapons program, because we of all people should know the consequences of dropping WMDs. But as earlier stated, KIM JONG IL IS FUCKING CRAZY, and we can't just sit here and be calm about it when HIS country tests nukes. Countries all over the world have nuclear weapons programs, and even though they get the attention of our news teams as well as our intelligence agencies, they don't bother us as much as hostile countries do, you see what I'm saying? It's common sense. North Korea is a fucking psycho.
I really think you guys underestimated the destructive force of nuclear weapons on a grand scale, and I hope my lengthy post sparked something.
In regards to Kim Jong's retirement/death, he's declared that he will always be dictator of N. Korea even in death...do you see why Kim Jong and his followers are madmen? Even after he's gone, you will still have a fucked up country, and we will probably still have to have a full blown war in order to free its people.
Last edited by a2ng0d; 06-09-2009 at 01:35 PM..